In 1950, a grant of £350,000 was approved for extensions to the Mappin Building and the Broad Lane Building (where we live to this day). This is an extract from the Broad Lane extension booklet 1955: ‘Research activities, conducted both by members of staff and research students, have steadily increased. Recent research in the Department, has been mostly concerned with concrete technology, with steel structures loaded in the elastic-plastic range and with the seepage of water to wells and drains. Among many problems in reinforced and pre-stressed concrete which have been studied, the behaviour of beams in combined bending and torsion deserves particular mention because a lengthy investigation of this problem, which is important for the design of certain concrete structures, has been completed. Investigations have also been conducted with steel models of inter-connected bridge girders and arched ribs, loaded in the elastic-plastic range, and work has been in progress for some time on the behaviour of steel beams under alternating loads in the plastic range. Progress has been made in determining the flow pattern associated with pumped wells for water supply and with drainage tunnels. The new laboratories and their equipment will greatly facilitate the Department’s research work.’ Civil Engineering space included: Structures Lab, Concrete Technology Lab, Hydraulics Lab, Light Structures Lab, Soil Mechanics Lab, Lecture Theatres, and Student Workrooms (with work tables for each student).